What's the youngest age someone could enjoy playing this?
How does this game work for children of this age in your family?
To verify your input please enter your email to create an account.
Our examiner, Ben Kendall, first checked Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown 22 months ago. It was re-examined by Jo Robertson and updated 10 months ago.
Alongside a single-player narrative campaign, which carries on the story from previous entries and sees you you play a pilot nicknamed "Trigger" in a war known as The Lighthouse War, you can play in online multiplayer dogfights in teams or solo, allowing for flexibility in how you choose to play.
You fly around, controlling your speed and direction, and blast air and ground targets in a series of dogfights and attack runs. Similarly to Star Wars Squadrons, you need to quickly evade inbound missiles using flares, and fire on faraway ships with a variety of different weapons. The weather also affects your ability to do certain actions; for example, flying through clouds hinders your visibility and ability to target enemies, and lightning strikes can disrupt or temporarily disable scanners and controls.
The PS4 version also has levels designed to be played in virtual reality, offering a greater sense of immersion and realism.
There have been several Ace Combat games, both main series games and spin-offs, over the years and are available on a wide variety of platforms:
- Air Combat (1995) Playstation
- Ace Combat 2 (1997) Playstation
- Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere (1999/2000) Playstation
- Ace Combat 4: Shattered Skies (2001/2002) PS2
- Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War (2004) PS2
- Ace Combat Advance (2005) Game Boy Advance
- Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War (2006) PS2
- Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception (2006) Playstation Portable
- Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation (2007) Xbox 360
- Ace Combat Xi: Skies of incursion (2009) iOS
- Ace Combat: Joint Assault (2010) Playstation Portable
- Ace Combat Assault Horizon: Trigger Finger (2010) iOS
- Ace Combat: Assault Horizon (2011) Xbox 360, PS3
- Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy (2011) 3DS
- Ace Combat: Northern Wings (2011) iOS, Android (No longer available to download officially)
- Ace Combat Infinity (2014) PS3
- Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy+ (2015) New Nintendo 3DS
- Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown (2020)
You can play this game in the following styles:
Rated for younger players in Australia. Rated Parental Guidance (PG) for Mild Themes, Violence and Coarse Language.
10+ year-olds usually have the required skill to enjoy this game. Still, it's important for parents and guardians to consider the maturity required to process the game content. Although you need quick reactions and the ability to sift and execute on large amounts of data in limited time, the exuberance of the experience makes it a good game for younger players, particularly those looking for an alternative to Fortnite.
- You need PlayStation Plus to play online with PlayStation 3.
- You need be 18-years-old to to subscribe to Xbox Live Gold for online play, but can then configure family accounts for younger players to play online with Xbox One.
- You need be 18-years-old to subscribe to PlayStation Plus for online play, but can create sub-accounts for younger players of 7-years or older to play online with PlayStation 4.
Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown Deluxe Edition
- In-Game Purchases: Additional in-game purchases are offered for items that enhance the experience.
- You need a subscription to play online:
There are several pieces of downloadable software you can buy that give new levels, aircraft or cosmetics. In addition, you can buy the Deluxe edition, which comes with some of this content.
The additional content you can purchase includes: Experimental Aircraft, F-16XL, F-15 S/MDT, FB-22 Strike Raptor, ASF-X Shinden, Anchorhead Raid, ADFX-01 Morgan, ADF-01 FALKEN, ADF-11F Raven, F-4E Phantom II.
It's important to set up your accounts and devices appropriately. More information is on our Financial Resources page.
Release Date: 30/06/1995, updated in 2019
Out Now: 3DS and 2DS, Android, PC, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP, Xbox 360, Xbox One and iOS
Content Rating: PEGI 12
Skill Rating: 10+ year-olds
Players: 1 (8 online)
Accessibility: 23 features
Components: 3D First-Person
Here are our hand-picked short list of similar games; the perfect thing to play next if you enjoyed Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown. We also have a long list of games similar to Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown.
Our experts have hand-picked the following board games that offer a similar experience or theme to Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown.