How young was your child when they first played this?
How does your child play this? Alone, with friends, with family? How did they discover it and what kept them coming back for more?
To verify your input please enter your email to create an account.
Our examiner, Rich Adams, first checked Apex Legends 3 years ago. It was re-examined by Andy Robertson and updated 4 weeks ago.
Like Fortnite, the play area shrinks over time, forcing players to keep moving or else find themselves outside the play area which can be fatal. Players communicate via game chat or with text indicators to teammates. The game focuses on a wide variety of characters, each with a special ability. Like Overwatch, this means it’s often described as a character-based shooting game. Learning how to use different abilities is a big part of getting better at the game. Players also need to work well in a team, reviving each other when they die, and providing tactical information to each other by the ping system.
The ping system means that you can play the game without having voice- or text-chat enables. Also, many younger players choose to turn off voice chat apart from their friends so they can play and communicate only with people they know.
This game is good if you want to:
- Raise aspirations through esports
- Generate dopamine
- Learn a battlefield role
- Be world champion
- Refine competitive virtual motion
- Play battle royale online showdowns
Rated for younger players in the US. ESRB TEEN with blood and violence. Players search for supplies and use machine guns, rifles, and explosives to shoot and kill enemies as the play area constantly shrinks. Frenetic firefights are accompanied by blood-splatter effects, realistic gunfire, and large explosions. Players can also perform various finishing moves on weakened enemies (e.g., stabbing them with a knife; beating opponents down with fists; electrocuting characters). These attacks are often depicted close-up and/or from the victim's perspective.
11+ year-olds usually have the required skill to enjoy this game. Still, it's important for parents and guardians to consider the maturity required to process the game content. It's also important to ensure children understand in-game purchases and have spending limits set-up. In addition to the shooting and traversal of similar games you also need to deal with more dynamic movement with the grapple hook and other tools.
Our Game Pathways reveal how 25-year-olds play this game:
- 25-year-old: Building An Inclusive Community
- You need be 18-years-old to to subscribe to Xbox Live Gold for online play, but can then configure family accounts for younger players to play online with Xbox One.
- You need be 18-years-old to subscribe to Nintendo Online, but can then create accounts for children of any age to play online with Nintendo Switch.
- You need be 18-years-old to subscribe to PlayStation Plus for online play, but can create sub-accounts for younger players of 7-years or older to play online with PlayStation 4.
Apex Legends: Bloodhound Edition
Apex Legends: Champion Edition
Apex Legends: Lifeline Edition
Apex Legends: Octane Edition
- In-Game Loot Boxes: Additional in-game purchases are offered for items that enhance the experience. These include in-game purchases of random items (known as 'loot boxes') that offer a chance of getting rare/higher-value items although common/lower-value items are more frequent.
- In-Game Pass: Purchase a season/battle pass to gain access to limited in-game purchases, reward items and other aspects of the game.
- You need a subscription to play online:
Apex Legends is free to download and start playing, meaning that no purchase password is required from parents. As signified in the ratings the game includes purchases that range from £7.99/$9.99 to £79.99/$99.99. While this money will only unlock cosmetic improvements, it is also a way to gain access to all the playable characters in the game more quickly.
Apex Packs that can be earned in the game or purchased with money, offer a “loot box” style chance to win items of varying rarity. This is not classed as gambling by the Gambling Commission in the UK as these items don’t have any monetary value outside the game.
There are special editions of the game that come with special skins and currency:
- Lifeline Edition
- Octane Edition
- Pathfinder Edition
- Bloodhound Edition
All these purchases are cheaper if you have EA Access.
It's important to set up your accounts and devices appropriately. More information is on our Financial Resources page.
Here are our hand-picked short list of similar games; the perfect thing to play next if you enjoyed Apex Legends. We also have a long list of games similar to Apex Legends.
Our experts have hand-picked the following board games that offer a similar experience or theme to Apex Legends.