How young was your child when they first played this?
How does your child play this? Alone, with friends, with family? How did they discover it and what kept them coming back for more?
To verify your input please enter your email to create an account.
Our examiner, Andy Robertson, first checked Fable 3 years ago. It was re-examined by Jo Robertson and updated 3 months ago.
As you progress through the game over many hours, your character visually changes depending on how you play. As in other role-play games you choose how to develop skills and accrue equipment and clothing. In Fable II you can gain a career as Blacksmith, Woodcutter, Bartender, Assassin, Civilian Displacement (Slaver), Bounty Hunter, or Merchant.
You develop deep relationships in the game with different non-player characters. You have a pet dog to help you. You can even find a wife and have children. But these things remain secondary to the main adventure story.
Although the features of the game developed with each version, Fable II is generally thought to be the best version of the game.
- Fable (Xbox)
- Fable: The Lost Chapters expansion
- Fable Anniversary remade first game on Xbox 360
- Fable II (Xbox 360) with free Knothole Island and See the Future downloadable content available.
- Fable III (Xbox 360)
- Fable Heroes spin-off game (Xbox 360).
- Fable: The Journey spin-off game for Xbox Kinect camera, that is controlled by motion and gestures alone.
- Fable Trilogy compilation including Fable Anniversary, Fable II and Fable III (Xbox 360)
- Fable (Xbox Series X, PC) Series rebooted for the new generation of consoles from the team behind the open-world driving game Forza Horizon.
11+ year-olds usually have the required skill to enjoy this game. Still, it's important for parents and guardians to consider the maturity required to process the game content. It's also important to ensure children understand in-game purchases and have spending limits set-up. The unusual social progression and decision making, alongside the fighting, magic and fantasy adventure, make this a good match for pre-teenager skill levels. Provided they are comfortable with the content, the game offers a good challenge for their social deduction, identity and narrative processing skills.
Fable - The Lost Chapters
|Mac||Unavailable On Digital Store|
- In-Game Purchases: Additional in-game purchases are offered for items that enhance the experience.
The Fable Anniversary remake includes all the in-game purchases for free. Other games including Fable Trilogy require in-game purchases for additional content that extend the adventures.
It's important to set up your accounts and devices appropriately. More information is on our Financial Resources page.
Release Date: 14/09/2004
Price: 75% off
Out Now: Mac, PC, Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One
Content Rating: PEGI 16
Skill Rating: 11+ year-olds
Components: 3D Third-Person, Day and Night and Open World
Here are our hand-picked short list of similar games; the perfect thing to play next if you enjoyed Fable. We also have a long list of games similar to Fable.
Our experts have hand-picked the following board games that offer a similar experience or theme to Fable.