Our examiner, Andrea Walney, first checked Fallout 76 22 months ago. It was re-examined by Ben Kendall and updated 3 months ago.
Adventure mode, is similar to previous Fallout games. You are free to wander and find quests, encounter other players and complete missions to share loot (or get attacked if they turn on you). Play favours collaboration rather than competition. If you kill another player character then you are marked as wanted and show up on the map so that other players can track you down.
There are other play modes that come and go. These offer special abilities or unusual restrictions to mix up the fun. For example, jumping really high with no fall damage in a storm ravaged world, or a kill or be killed world where players drop loot upon death. Finally, there is the Fallout Worlds subscription mode where you can set up a custom map for you and your friends only. There was also a short-lived, but now discontinued Battle Royale mode.
The Fallout Series started in 1997 as a PC turn-based adventure game and has developed into a vast multi-console open world experience. Other games in the series include:
- Fallout 1997 (Mac, PC)
- Fallout 2 1998 (Mac, PC)
- Fallout 3 2008 (Windows, Xbox 360, PS3)
- Fallout: New Vegas 2010 (PC, Xbox 360, PS3)
- Fallout 4 2015 (Windows, PS4, Xbox One)
- Fallout Shelter 2015 (Android, iOS, PC, PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch) (a spin off Time Management game set in the same universe)
- Fallout 76 2018 (PC, PS4, Xbox One)
Fallout 76's multiplayer options makes this a unique experience. It combines the dystopian world of the other games, but adds the unpredictable interactions with real people that bring it to life in new ways. Purists may prefer their Fallout world unsullied by other players, but being able to play Fallout with a friend add another dimension to an already fascinating universe.
You can play this game in the following styles:
14+ year-olds usually have the required skill to enjoy this game. Still, it's important for parents and guardians to consider the maturity required to process the game content. Interactions with real people requires a certain level of maturity. You need to be able to cope with other players tricking you and perhaps even turning on you.
- You need be 18-years-old to to subscribe to Xbox Live Gold for online play, but can then configure family accounts for younger players to play online with Xbox One.
- You need be 18-years-old to subscribe to PlayStation Plus for online play, but can create sub-accounts for younger players of 7-years or older to play online with PlayStation 4.
Fallout 76: The Pitt Deluxe Edition
- In-Game Purchases: Additional in-game purchases are offered for items that enhance the experience.
- You need a subscription to play online:
It's important to set up your accounts and devices appropriately. More information is on our Financial Resources page.
Release Date: 14/11/2018, updated in 2021
Out Now: PC, PS4 and Xbox One
Content Rating: PEGI 18
Skill Rating: 14+ year-olds
Players: 1 (24 online)
Accessibility: 24 features
Components: 3D First-Person and Open World
Here are our hand-picked short list of similar games; the perfect thing to play next if you enjoyed Fallout 76. We also have a long list of games similar to Fallout 76.
Our experts have hand-picked the following board games that offer a similar experience or theme to Fallout 76.