What's the youngest age someone could enjoy playing this?
How does this game work for children of this age in your family?
To verify your input please enter your email to create an account.
Our examiner, Ben Kendall, first checked Mario vs. Donkey Kong 22 months ago. It was re-examined by Jo Robertson and updated a year ago.
You don't control the mini characters directly but use the level design, bridges and pipes to guide them to the exit. Reminiscent of Lemmings or Pipe Mania, you use the buttons or stylus to place down the right piece (bridges, jump pads, direction tiles and the like) to get your minis to the next area. However, you only have a small supply of each of these items, so it's important you only use them when necessary, and pick them up when they're no longer needed to recuperate the resources.
As you progress the levels get harder. There's also things to collect that give you a better score, as well as aiming for a faster time. Because of this it's worth revisiting some levels to perfect them. You can also create your own levels on some of the games.
The different games have introduced new features, such as the ability to use hammers to whack blocks, and in the latest game, you can use different characters to play unique levels. Some of the games also feature a level editor that allows you to create and share your own designs.
There have been seven games in the series thus far:
- Donkey Kong (1994) Game Boy - Platform game that inspired the series.
- Mario vs. Donkey Kong (2004) Game Boy Advance - Platforming and Lemmings style play
- Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis! (2006) DS - Lemmings style play
- Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again! (2009) DS - Lemmings style play and level designer
- Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem! (2010) DS - Lemmings style play and level designer
- Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move (2013) 3DS - Pipe Mania style play
- Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars (2015) Wii U and 3DS - Lemmings style play and level designer
- Mini Mario & Friends: amiibo Challenge (2016) Wii U and 3DS - Lemmings style play and level designer
You can only play this on older systems (Nintendo 2DS|3DS, Nintendo DS and Nintendo Wii U) but can usually find it second hand on eBay.
Mario Vs. Donkey Kong 2: March Of The Minis
|Wii U||£8.99||Unavailable On Digital Store|
Mario Vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars
|Wii U||£17.99||Unavailable On Digital Store|
|2DS|3DS||£17.99||Unavailable On Digital Store|
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
|Wii U||£6.29||Unavailable On Digital Store|
While the most recent game, Mini Mario & Friends: amiibo challenge, is free, to beat certain levels, you need to have certain amiibo (Mario, Peach etc.) and to beat all levels you need 11 specific amiibo.
While 12 levels can be beaten with any amiibo, you play as Mini Spek, who has no abilities other than the basic jump.
Here are our hand-picked short list of similar games; the perfect thing to play next if you enjoyed Mario vs. Donkey Kong. We also have a long list of games similar to Mario vs. Donkey Kong.
Our experts have hand-picked the following board games that offer a similar experience or theme to Mario vs. Donkey Kong.