What's the youngest age someone could enjoy playing this?
How does this game work for children of this age in your family?
To verify your input please enter your email to create an account.
Our examiner, Ben Kendall, first checked Oddworld Soulstorm 2 years ago. It was re-examined by Angela Hickman Newnham and updated 5 months ago.
After discovering a plot to turn slave workers, the Mudokons, into food to make up for lessening sales Abe, a Mudokon himself, escapes the farm. He returns to free the rest of the slaves and shut down the factory. The story adaptively changes depending on your choices, which results in several different endings you can collect.
Play involves dodging fast-moving trains, lasers and even flamethrowers in your quest for freedom. You scale chasms and dodge hazards on many different levels, swinging on poles and jumping across platforms.
You can also craft and pickpocket items that can help you or hinder your pursuers. You build up a team of following Mudokons who will match your movement. You not only need to make sure the way is safe for you but that it will remain so until all the Mudokons have passed through as well, a little like The Lemmings. Depending on how many you successfully keep alive, you can unlock extra levels, story twists and more.
This has been the case in all the Oddworld games, but in this one, you can equip your following minions with abilities to help you progress and take on bigger and more challenging enemies.
There have been several games in the Oddworld series on a variety of different platforms:
- Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee (1997) Playstation and PC
- Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus (1998) Playstation and PC
- Oddworld Adventures (1998) Game Boy
- Oddworld Adventures 2 (2000) Game Boy Colour
- Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee (2001) Xbox (2003) Game Boy Advance. Later released for PC Playstation 3, Playstation Vita, Android and Nintendo Switch.
- Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath (2005) Xbox. Later released for PC, Mac, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, iOS, Android and Nintendo Switch.
- Oddworld: New n Tasty (2014) PlayStation 4. Later released for PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, Xbox One, PC, Wii U, Nintendo Switch, Android and iOS.
- Oddworld: Soulstorm (2021) PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, PC, Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S.
All the games feature the same focus on capitalism, colonialism and greed, and can help to start conversations about these topics.
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee (Ps1 Emulation)
Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee
Oddworld: New 'N' Tasty
Oddworld: New 'N' Tasty (PS4 )
Oddworld: New 'N' Tasty Tasty: Deluxe Edition
Oddworld: New 'N' Tasty: Complete Edition
Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty
Oddworld: Soulstorm Enhanced Edition
|Xbox Series X|S||£33.49||–||–|
PS Plus Extra
PS Plus Extra
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
Release Date: 19/09/1997, updated in 2022
Out Now: Android, Mac, PC, PS Vita, PS3, PS4, PS5, PSP, Switch, Wii U, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S and iOS
Content Rating: PEGI 12
Skill Rating: 10+ year-olds
Accessibility: 18 features
Components: 2D Side-On
Here are our hand-picked short list of similar games; the perfect thing to play next if you enjoyed Oddworld Soulstorm. We also have a long list of games similar to Oddworld Soulstorm.
Our experts have hand-picked the following board games that offer a similar experience or theme to Oddworld Soulstorm.