How young was your child when they first played this?
How does your child play this? Alone, with friends, with family? How did they discover it and what kept them coming back for more?
To verify your input please enter your email to create an account.
Our examiner, Andy Robertson, first checked Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove 3 years ago. It was re-examined by Jo Robertson and updated 9 weeks ago.
The main quest involves fighting through each level and defeating the boss battle at the end, during this, you collect as much treasure as possible. Collecting items and gaining abilities grants access to more of the level. You can get the treasure by defeating enemies, finding chests, digging through the environment, and finding note sheets that also unlock music tracks.
In some of the games in the series, you control characters besides Shovel Knight, such as Specter Knight and King Knight. Shovel Knight Showdown has a 4 player local battle mode so you can compete against friends and family, similar to Super Smash Bros. This is something unique to Showdown that the other games don't explore as much.
Shovel Knight: Treasure trove includes all 5 Shovel Knight games released. After the original Shovel Knight, it expanded into a large series during its rise in popularity. The games listed can also be purchased separately:
- Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope (2004) on Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, Xbox One and PC.
- Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows (2015) on Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, Playstation Station 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, Xbox One and PC.
- Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (2017) on Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, Xbox One and PC.
- Shovel Knight: King of Cards (2019) on Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, Xbox One and PC.
- Shovel Knight: Showdown (2019) on Nintendo Switch, Wii U, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One and PC.
Rated for younger players in the US. Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove is Rated ESRB EVERYONE for Use of Alcohol and Mild Fantasy Violence.
9+ year-olds usually have the required skill to enjoy this game. Still, it’s important for parents and guardians to ensure they understand in-game purchases and have spending limits set-up. Younger players need to be willing to take on a challenge where they will fail and have to try again. Good timing is essential, but you also need some creative thinking to progress in some areas.
Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
|SALE||2DS|3DS||£26.99||Unavailable On Digital Store|
- In-Game Purchases: Additional in-game purchases are offered for items that enhance the experience.
The Shovel Knight games that are included in the treasure trove bundle but can be bought separately for an individual price.
The game supports the Amiibo figurines that are purchased separately to unlock things in the game.
It's important to set up your accounts and devices appropriately. More information is on our Financial Resources page.
Release Date: 26/06/2014
Price: 85% off
Out Now: 3DS and 2DS, Mac, PC, PS Vita, PS3, PS4, Switch, Wii U and Xbox One
Content Rating: PEGI 7
Skill Rating: 9+ year-olds
Components: 2D Side-On and Pixels
Here are our hand-picked short list of similar games; the perfect thing to play next if you enjoyed Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove. We also have a long list of games similar to Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove.
Our experts have hand-picked the following board games that offer a similar experience or theme to Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove.