Our examiner, Ben Kendall, first checked Warframe 20 months ago. It was re-examined by Jo Robertson and updated 15 months ago.
Set in the distant future, you play one of the Tenno, who use mechs known as Warframes to fight in interplanetary battles. You go from planet to planet, fighting off enemies known as the Grineer to complete missions and quests. Over time this central experience has been expanded with additional content, including more story-based missions and new settings that expand the history and scope of the game's world.
Gameplay focuses on shooting and fighting with melee weapons as you explore the galaxy's many worlds. The combat is designed to be fast-paced and fluid, as you move quickly and can glide through the air to get a height advantage over enemies or escape from bad situations. Along with the combat, you also interact with characters and complete quests for them to unlock gear and upgrades.
It's a vast open-world game with many procedurally generated areas, allowing for a huge variety of scenery and architecture -- each of which force you to use and master different strategies and weapons. In a more open area, you'll need to move quickly to avoid enemies but will be able to target them from much farther away, for example. In more densely populated tundra you have cover but ranged attacks are limited.
It's a huge and complex game with a wide and diverse array of things to do and ways to play. This is leveraged as a playground for the games focus on skill-based combat, expansive stories and more traditional role-playing elements.
Cross-Platform: Cross-Platform between all systems.
You can play this game in the following styles:
Rated for younger players in Australia. Rated Mature Accompanied (MA 15+) for Strong Violence.
- You need be 18-years-old to to subscribe to Xbox Live Gold for online play, but can then configure family accounts for younger players to play online with Xbox One or Xbox Series X|S.
- You need be 18-years-old to subscribe to Nintendo Online, but can then create accounts for children of any age to play online with Nintendo Switch.
- You need be 18-years-old to subscribe to PlayStation Plus for online play, but can create sub-accounts for younger players of 7-years or older to play online with PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5.
- In-Game Purchases: Additional in-game purchases are offered for items that enhance the experience.
- You need a subscription to play online:
The game is free, and you can unlock all items simply by playing. However, some of the cosmetic items would take a very long time to unlock without paying for them.
It's important to set up your accounts and devices appropriately. More information is on our Financial Resources page.
Release Date: 25/03/2013, updated in 2021
Out Now: PC, PS4, PS5, Switch, Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S
Content Rating: PEGI 18
Players: 1 (8 online)
Accessibility: 25 features
Components: 3D First-Person
Here are our hand-picked short list of similar games; the perfect thing to play next if you enjoyed Warframe. We also have a long list of games similar to Warframe.
Our experts have hand-picked the following board games that offer a similar experience or theme to Warframe.