Our examiner, Thom Robertson, first checked Alien: Isolation 2 years ago. It was re-examined by Andy Robertson and updated 4 weeks ago.
Unlike other space alien games that throw masses of enemies at you, Alien Isolation creates constant tension through being hunted by a single intelligent alien. You have to scavenge for resources, hack systems and craft items but all the time watch your back for the creature closing in. Do well and you gain the items you need to progress. But still it's your choice whether to avoid, distract or fight the persistent Alien.
The strong narrative and dark atmosphere of Sevastopol creates an unnerving environment where the alien could be around any corner. The base slowly tells its story as you discover the remains and discard lives that went before. Each room has a past life with furniture, beds, tape recordings and even broken cups making clear that something went very wrong here.
Rated for younger players in Australia. Rated Mature Accompanied (MA 15+) for Strong Violence.
14+ year-olds usually have the required skill to enjoy this game. Still, it's important for parents and guardians to consider the maturity required to process the game content. Along with the combat and traversal, players need to deal with being chased by the alien. Working out how to hide and deal with the scary enemy requires resilience, lateral thinking and perseverance if you fail.
Account RatingYou don’t need a platform subscription to play this game online.
|SALE||Xbox One||£29.99||£17.99 at the moment||–|
|SALE||PS4||£29.99||£18.32 at the moment||–|
Alien: Isolation: The Collection
- In-Game Purchases: Additional in-game purchases are offered for items that enhance the experience.
- In-Game Pass: Purchase a season/battle pass to gain access to limited in-game purchases, reward items and other aspects of the game.
Additional content (the Nintendo Switch, iOS and Android games includes all additional content) :
- Season Pass - Includes new maps and challenges to take on the Survivor Mode, as well as 25% off the 5 add-ons listed below.
- The Trigger - Play as Ricardo - learn about explosives and get three new Survivor-Mode maps.
- Lost Contact - Play the Salvage Mode map, with the Lorenz Private Wards and the Emergency Power Plant, play as Axel and equip yourself with the Revolver and Bolt gun.
- Safe Haven - Salvage mode - Venture out of the safe room, complete objectives and return safely. Play as Hughes, and get faster access to the Bolt Gun, Shotgun and EMP Mine. Can explore the Gemini Systems and the Bacchus Apartments.
- Last Survivor - The rest of the crew are dead, you must set the ship’s self-destruct and attempt to reach the escape shuttle in time to survive.
- Crew Expandable - With the original crew reunited, it's down to you as Dallas, Parker or Ellen Ripley, to find a way to isolate the Alien and overcome the terror that confronts them with.
- Corporate Lockdown - three new maps: for Survivor Mode and a time-based challenge to test your skills.
- Trauma - three new maps for Survivor Mode, a time-based challenge to test your skills.
It's important to set up your accounts and devices appropriately. More information is on our Financial Resources page.
Release Date: 06/10/2014, updated in 2019
Price: 40% off
Out Now: Android, Mac, PC, PS4, Switch, Xbox 360, Xbox One and iOS
Content Rating: PEGI 18
Skill Rating: 14+ year-olds
Players: 1 (1 online)
Accessibility: 17 features
Components: 3D First-Person
Here are our hand-picked short list of similar games; the perfect thing to play next if you enjoyed Alien: Isolation. We also have a long list of games similar to Alien: Isolation.
Our experts have hand-picked the following board games that offer a similar experience or theme to Alien: Isolation.