How does your child play this? Alone, with friends, with family? How did they discover it and what kept them coming back for more?
To verify your input please enter your email to create an account.
There are quests to advance the main story and meet the wide range of playable characters. Each has two combat skills and specialises in one of the seven natural elements in the game: Cryo, Dendro, Pyro, Hydro, Anemo, Electro and Geo. Each of these interacts differently with each other and can be used to your advantage once understood.
For example, if you have four characters in your party who are all strong with the Electro element, their abilities stack and increase. Alternatively, you could create a party of complementary elements. For example, using Hydro to drench enemies and multiply Electro attacks. You can also cook once you have the required resources. Some dishes offer health, attack or defensive boosts.
It's an expansive game and looks beautiful. There are mountains to climb and stamina to manage. You can take to the air across the open world, swim through rivers and seas, and climb huge mountains. Whether you stick to the road or stray off the beaten path, there are all manner of hidden secrets and stories to discover.
You need to make friends in the game and take on enemies. It may be similar to Zelda but it extends this experience onto non-Nintendo platforms as well as adding multiplayer modes.
Although Genshin Impact is similar to Zelda Breath of the Wild it isn't available on Nintendo Switch or Xbox One, there are no plans for those platforms currently.
Our examiner, Andy Robertson, first checked Genshin Impact 3 years ago. It was re-examined by Rich Adams and updated 7 months ago.
On PlayStation, you play in your home region. On PC and Mobile, you select a region. Ensure you select a region that friends are using otherwise you can't play with them.
Cross-Platform: You can play online with PlayStation, iOS, or PC.
You can play this game in the following styles:
Rated for younger players in Australia. Rated Parental Guidance (PG) for Mild Violence, Sexualised Imagery.
10+ year-olds usually have the required skill to enjoy this game. Still, it's important for parents and guardians to consider the maturity required to process the game content. It's also important to ensure children understand in-game purchases and have spending limits set-up. You need to be able to battle enemies and deal with other online players. But also, some skill is needed to parse the different currencies and ways to progress.
Genshin Impact - Sumeru Debut
- In-Game Loot Boxes: Additional in-game purchases are offered for items that enhance the experience. These include in-game purchases of random items (known as 'loot boxes') that offer a chance of getting rare/higher-value items although common/lower-value items are more frequent.
- In-Game Pass: Purchase a season/battle pass to gain access to limited in-game purchases, reward items and other aspects of the game.
You need a subscription to play online:
- You need to purchase a PlayStation Plus subscription to play online with PlayStation 4.
There are a series of interrelated currencies in the game that offer a variety of benefits, but largely work towards gaining Wishes to unlock characters and weapons in a Loot Box style:
- Genesis Crystals currency - can only be purchased with real money and are used to buy Primogems in the game.
- Primogems currency - can be earned from quests or purchased with Genesis Crystals, they are used to purchase Acquaint and Intertwined Fates or to level up a Battle pass.
- Acquaint and Intertwined Fates currency - can be used to get Wishes to unlock characters.
- Stardust currency - is sometimes earned from 4-Star Wishes and can be swapped for Acquaint or Intertwined Fates.
- Starglitter - is earned from 5-Star Wishes and be used to purchase Acquaint and Intertwined Fates, weapons and characters.
- Mora currency - is the basic way you pay for levelling up characters, weapons, food and items in the game. There is also Anemo Sigil and Geo Sigil which are similar currencies specific to certain regions.
In addition to purchasing Genesis Crystals you can also buy:
- Adventurer's Bundle offers wish material, currency, character, weapon and adventurer's experience, food items and ingredients
- Blessing of the Welkin Moon offers 300 Genesis Crystals, an extra 90 Primogems every day for 30 days.
Although you can spend money in this way to speed up access to characters and enhance your experience, you can do everything in the game without additional spend. There aren't big roadblocks that force you into spending money.
It's important to set up your accounts and devices appropriately. More information is on our Financial Resources page.
Release Date: 27/09/2020
Out Now: Android, PC, PS4 and iOS
Content Rating: PEGI 12
Skill Rating: 10+ year-olds
Players: 1 (4 online)
Accessibility: 20 features
Components: 3D Third-Person, Cartoon and Open World