Assassin’s Creed is a game where you enter a past civilisation and explore pseudo history of real events and locations from the past. You can climb the environment extensively, interact with different characters, collect items to unlock more the location and intervene in key historical moments. It’s become popular because of the detailed cities, and beautiful locations it creates for players to explore.
Along with the action and suspense of the running, jumping, climbing, fighting and assassination, the games are known for strong narrative and characters. This not only gives you a compelling reason to play, but fleshes out the sense of place and historical accuracy of the game.
Of note to families with younger children not old enough to play the game but keen to explore the settings, there is a Discovery Tour mode and stand alone version on PC for Assassin’s Creed Odyssey and Assassin’s Creed Origins and that provides a violence-free setting. This enables players to explore the full map without the pressure of quests and combat. It also adds enhanced cinematic scenes to focus on the smaller details being discussed during a tour. There are also quizzes to see how much history players have taken in during their exploration.
Here are the full set of games in this series:
- Assassin's Creed (2007) set in the Third Crusade on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360
- Assassin's Creed II (2009) set in 15th Century Florence on PC, PS3, Xbox 360
- Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (2010) set in 16th Rome on PC, PS3, Xbox 360
- Assassin's Creed: Revelations in (2011) set in 16th Century Constantinople on PC, PS3, Xbox 360
- Assassin's Creed III (2010) set in 18th Century Around the American Revolution on PC, PS3, Wii U, Xbox 360, PS3
- Assassin's Creed III: Liberation (2011) set in 18th century New Orleans at the end of the French and Indian War. Originally a substantial side-game for Vita, but then released on PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One and Switch.
- Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (2013) set in 18th Century Caribbean and Golden Age of Piracy on PS3, PS4, Wii U, Xbox 360
- Assassin's Creed Rogue (2014) set between Black Flag and III, leading into Unity on PC, PS3, Xbox 360
- Assassin's Creed Unity (2014) set in Paris During French Revolution on PC, PS4, Xbox One
- Assassin's Creed Syndicate (2015) set in Victorian London on PC, PS4, Xbox One
- Assassin's Creed Origins (2017) set in Ancient Egypt on PC, PS4, Xbox One
- Assassin's Creed Odyssey (2018) set in mythological Peloponnesian War between Athens and Sparta on PC, PS4, Xbox One
- Assassin's Valhalla (2020) set in a fictional story during the 873 AD Viking invasion of Britain on PC, PS4, Xbox One
There have been 7 games in the Assassin's Creed franchise.
The first game was released in 2011 on Nintendo Switch, PC, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One and the most recent release was Assassin's Creed Discovery Tour in 2023 on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.
The most popular game in the franchise is Assassin's Creed Valhalla with 54 likes. The franchise as a whole has 165 likes on the database. Unfortunately, Assassin's Creed Discovery Tour is not available on Android, Mac, Switch or iOS. However, there are other games similar to Assassin's Creed Discovery Tour on these platforms that offer an equivalent experience.